Thursday, June 16, 2011

Goals for the Daily 5

Chapters 1 and 2 provide us with great information regarding the Foundational Principles (trust, choice, community, sense of urgency, stamina, and staying out of the way) and the essential components (establishing a gathering place, goot-fit books for EACH student, anchor charts, repeated practice, signals/check-in, and modeling.  As you reflect on your reading, what goals do you have for your classroom as we work to implement the Daily 5?  What support do you need to do this?

1 comment:

  1. Before I left Grassy Creek I started reading this book! I love the concept of the book. It fits perfectly with the way I have set up my classroom. I struggled with teaching the independence part. I just assumed that the students should know how to work by themselves. The book has really opened up my eyes on how to build stamina and the independence needed to implement the Daily 5.

    I love the idea of providing students with choice. I found that last year my students thrived on being able to choose various activities. In addition, a visual choice board worked well for students. I used choice boards for free time activities, social skills, and cool down strategies. My goal for this year is to create a Daily 5 choice board for each student. The students will be able to have a visual of the activities and then be able to physically remove the activity and place it in another section on their Daily 5 choice board.

    ReplyDelete